Thursday, July 19, 2007

Miller Chill a Huge Mistake


Today I am posting a review of Miller Chill. If you do not drink beer you probably won't care so I am sorry. Now you could be thinking to yourself something like, "What is he thinking posting a beer review?" to which I would respond "Trying to save your taste buds". That's right I am trying to keep you from making a HUGE mistake.

I guess I should start out by saying that I like Miller products. If we are going to or having a party I would choose Miller over Bud every time. That being said I am more a fan of smaller breweries and larger varieties of beer than what is offered from the big guys. One of my favorites is Blue Point Brewery's Toasted Lager. That bit of background should give you an idea of where I am coming from I hope.

Over the past week or so every time we would go to a bar in our area there would inevitably be an ad for Miller Chill. I guess the advertising worked because I became curious enough to try Miller's new product. After talking with a bartender at Lark Tavern I found out that this beer was made in the Chelada style with lime and salt. Immediately I thought that Miller was trying to cock block Corona this summer.

Miller Chill Cock blockin Corona all summer long...


Corona is one of the bigger beach/pool party beers. I have enjoyed a Corona or two in the past with a slice of lime. Actually I should tell the truth I more enjoyed the lime than the Corona but whatever. So hearing that Miller Chill had lime in it sold me on the idea of trying one. The four dollars the bottle would cost me at the bar however made my decision to hold off on trying it easy especially since you can get so many good beers for the same price at the tavern.

We happened to be going to Oliver's Beverage Center the next day and what do you know they also were sporting the ads for and carrying Miller Chill. I bought a six pack along with a six pack of Sly Fox Pils and a six of Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point. After arriving home I put the beers in the fridge and waited a bit for them to reach a good temperature.

Upon retrieving the beer from the fridge I had to use a bottle opener, again Corona came to mind, to open it. I poured the beer into a glass it looked like your average lite beer. The smell was the first clue thought that I was about to make the biggest little mistake of my day. Miller Chill smells something like you would expect it to if you were not expecting that much. The aroma is limeish I guess with a faint lite beer smell. The taste though is where you really find out you fucked up wasting money on this beer. Miller Chill tastes like a mix of watery margarita, Michelob Ultra, and horrible "salt" and "lime" flavoring. That description does not even do justice to the face of horror that you will make if you have the bad fortune to taste this beer. Someone I know who also was dumb enough to try the Chill said it tasted like a bad mix of beer and Zima. So if you are into that you may just be into Miller Chill.

So I guess there you have it. If you want beer and lime this summer stick with using a knife to cut one up before you place it in a Miller High Life or some other cheap lite beer. That would be a better choice. Also I think cock blocking Corona is fun so try not to drink one of those all summer if possible.

Back to drawings tomorrow,

MORTEKAI


p.s. I do not know if Miller made up Chelada style so the link above will take you to a wiki entry about Michelada style. Oh and here are a few links if you really want more info.

News story on Beer Advocates site Click Here

Reviews on Rate Beer's site Click Here

Miller Chill's official site Click Here

Here is an informative story from Kansas City Star but the article may be by a dude from the Wall Street Journal Click Here

3 Comments:

Blogger Conrad said...

Bastards! I knew it. If anything, this beer sounds like it's giving Zima a bad name.

I first heard of this foul elixir, ironically enough, at the St. James bevy where a clerk was trying to sell it to anyone who wandered in. Didn't they know there were bottles of Duvel and other fine Belgian crafts?

"Good People Drink Good Beer
- Hunter S. Thompson

7:55 PM, July 19, 2007  
Blogger treena said...

I LOOOOOVE beer, i think its great you writing a review of beer, we need more of this. do we have different varieties in the uk? i like real ale. and stout as well as wheat beers or any beer really!!!

7:55 PM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger Mortekai said...

yes oh mighty rad one the chill is a cruel trick.

treena what types are you favorite?

and i think i will post anpther beer review soon. i have had a variety of different kinds lately. glad you liked the review.

MORTEKAI

i wish 11HHH would return

12:28 AM, July 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home